My name is Jeff and I'm a pastor of a small, local, Christian fellowship

It's a wonderful thing to love your work; to know that when you do it you are doing something that you were born to do. I am so fortunate to be both. I don't say I am the best at what I do. God knows that are so many others who do it better. But I do feel fairly lucky to be called by such a good God to do work I can only do with his help, to be loved by a beautiful woman, and to have a workshop where I can work my craft. These musings of mine are part of that work.
Powered By Blogger

Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Road Goes Ever On and On and On

Roads go ever ever on,
  over rock and under tree,
By caves where never sun has shone,
  by streams that never find the sea;
Over snow by winter sown,
  and through the merry flowers of June,
Over grass and over stone,
  and under mountains in the moon.

Those who know me know I'm very much a hobbit - I'm short, stocky and have hair on my toes. Since 2006, I have made it my intent to hike the entire length of the Ice Age Trail, a 1,000 mile trail that meanders east and west, north and south throughout  Wisconsin. I have since logged 52 hikes, most of them 8 miles or less, and have traversed six counties (and am halfway through a seventh). Truthfully, I've got a long way to go. At the rate I'm going, I literally may be an old man by the time I get to the journey's end.

Rather than post entries at this blog, I've begun a new one dedicated entirely to this goal entitled "Ice Age Trail Sojourner" that you can find by following this link Ice Age Sojourner: Tookish Me. At this site I plan to post lots of pictures and entries from the journal I've kept of all my hikes since the first one in January of 2006. If you are a traveler or like to read of those who do perhaps you'll enjoy reading the record of my journey.

Roads go ever on and on
  under cloud and under star,
Yet feet that wandering have gone
  turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
  and horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
  and trees and hills they long have known.
from "Roads Go Ever On" from "The Last Stage" in The Hobbit

No comments: