My name is Jeff and I'm a pastor of a small, local, Christian fellowship

It's a wonderful thing to love your work; to know that when you do it you are doing something that you were born to do. I am so fortunate to be both. I don't say I am the best at what I do. God knows that are so many others who do it better. But I do feel fairly lucky to be called by such a good God to do work I can only do with his help, to be loved by a beautiful woman, and to have a workshop where I can work my craft. These musings of mine are part of that work.
Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Waiting and waiting: A meditation on Acts 1

They all joined together constantly in prayer...” Acts 1:14, NIV

A week ago, having finished reading the Gospel of Luke, I naturally picked up Acts to read as my devotional selection for the rest of 2013. The two, of course, were always meant to be a companion set (indeed, I think they were at the beginning until someone decided the gospels would be better off standing alone and thus ensuring that Luke Part 2 [er, Acts] would be seen by some folks as just so much church history and trivia). In any case, a week later I remain in chapter 1. Now a lot of that has to do with the way I do my personal Bible reading. I can't just read and reflect. I like to be accompanied by others. So for my reading of Acts I have invited Eugene H. Peterson (via The Message), whoever is the voice behind my NIV Commentary software, and three others: John Stott (The Bible Speaks Today: The Message of Acts), I. Howard Marshall (Acts: Tyndale New Testament Commentaries) and Ajith Fernando (Acts: The NIV Application Commentary) to join me. All have already contributed to some insights I have gleaned from that first chapter (to the tune of some thirty-seven pages of notes, comments and quotes). But there's another reason I'm still in chapter 1: I'm trying to wait.

My companions on the journey:
Peterson: Got a postcard from him once













Stott: A lot of people like to quote him













Marshall: I wonder what the "I" stands for?













Fernando: Smart but his stuff walks










As I think of those forty days following the Resurrection, I wonder if they ever got used to his coming and going? I mean, it wasn't like he hung around the club house all day and they just lounged around with him. There was, I think, an intensity about the times they were together whether just as the Eleven or as the greater cadre of followers who had stuck with him. First, he had to convince them that he was really alive. Nothing would come of their later efforts to bear witness if they were not themselves already fully persuaded that he was corporeally, flesh-and-blood really alive. And the second thing he was doing was continuing to teach on his favorite subject – the kingdom of God. It's clear from their question about the kingdom of Israel being restored to her former Davidic glory (v. 6) that their definition of the kingdom and his are very different at this juncture. It would take awhile before his broad, expansive paradigm would replace their very narrow, parochial one.

And then one day he leads the Eleven three-quarters of a mile outside Jerusalem, up the slopes of the Mount of Olives. Do any of them suspect that this is the last time they will be together? Do any of them have a premonition that he was leaving them – or at least how we would define the phrase – for good? According to Fernando, it was a Thursday (counting forty days back to Passover.) Somewhere on the side of that hill, some of them press him with the question of when does Israel get restored to wit he responds:

You don’t get to know the time. Timing is the Father’s business. What you’ll get is the Holy Spirit. And when the Holy Spirit comes on you, you will be able to be my witnesses in Jerusalem, all over Judea and Samaria, even to the ends of the world.” (vv. 7-8, Msg)

In earlier conversations with him he had warned them to not even think of leaving Jerusalem until “the gift my Father promised” arrives (v. 4). What that is they cannot at this moment comprehend. It has something to do with immersion, however, for baptizö is the word that he employs to describe what will happen to them shortly. And then without so much as a good-bye or farewell hugs, he leaves them, taken up into a glory cloud. If any of those guys ever see him again in physical form none of them recorded that moment for posterity. It is, in some way for them, the end. With encouragement from the two angels who appear to them suddenly (maybe the same two who greet the women at the tomb?), they walk back down the hill, into Jerusalem and to the place where they will begin their vigil.

And this is where I'm parked. I'm curious to know what that looked like. I mean, what did they do for those ten days? In reflecting upon the post-resurrection encounter of the disciples on the road to Emmaus when Jesus gave them an overview of the Old Testament scriptures that all pointed to himself, Michael Card says,

Then Luke commits his most grievous error, and I'm not sure I will ever be able to forgive him for it, at least this side of heaven. Luke reports in verse 27 that Jesus explained everything concerning himself in the Old Testament. What was Luke possibly thinking? The greatest Bible lesson of all time, and yet we have not a single word! (Luke: The Gospel of Amazement by Michael Card, p. 263)

How they do it in KC
Well now here's my beef with Luke: one of the greatest prayer meetings of all time is happening and the only thing he can say about it is the gloss: “They all joined together constantly in prayer...” (v. 14). I want to know: what did they do? What did that look like? I mean, for we 21st Century saints who just the very idea of reserving one hour for prayer sounds like we're doing something incredibly noble, the act of going ten days straight in prayer is, for this saint, overwhelming.

But my mug is a lot more cooler
When I go to spend my “alone” time with the Father, I usually take my mug of coffee flavored with Irish Creme, my journal, a book I'm currently reading for devotional purposes, and – later when sitting at my desk – my Bible. These days, when I actually turn to prayer I usually walk around the sanctuary, praying in English and, ultimately, in tongues. As it has since the beginning days of my ministry in Chetek, the journal serves as something of a confessor recording for anyone with the gift of interpretation my mood, thoughts and state of mind on that day in particular. The devotional book may “speak” to me – or not (Last year I read through Richard Foster's Spiritual Classics and for the most part found it dry as toast; currently I'm reading Wheaton professor John H. Walton's The Lost World of Genesis One and am finding my spiritual taste buds for the re-reading of Genesis 1 strongly activated. I think I started this practice years ago when I was still intent on reading through the Bible every year and wasn't paying attention that I was glossing over more than musing upon the Scriptures.) And then I “go to” pray, peripatetic pray-er that I am, pacing around and around the sanctuary offering my requests and petitions to the Father for my wife, my children, the folks of my fellowship, the things that are before me or whatever other burden is on my heart at the moment. Like I shared in an early post (see Burn), I continue to make a practice of praying in tongues at least 15 minutes a day. And then I sit at my desk with my open Bible and read the next passage in Acts. This whole exercise put together may consume a few hours provided the phone doesn't ring or people don't stop in for a visit. But those first disciples of Jesus sequestered themselves in a room without soft worship music playing quietly in the background, without coffee or lattes to get the heart pumping, without a tablet or a laptop, without even access to a Bible. So...what did they do with all that time? How did they keep from dozing off to sleep? How did they keep from engaging in chatter with the friends they more than likely sat next to? Where did these people go when nature called? What did they do for meals? Did they pray in shifts? Did they pray in unison? They obviously didn't pray in tongues (when I run out of things to pray for that's always good fill.) What did it sound like? Lots of murmuring? Lots of quiet (well, at least as much as 120 people can be quiet without sneezing, coughing and making other bodily noises)? What? Luke, who wasn't there, won't say other than “they prayed a lot.” Thanks.

Every time I'm in KC this place is always hopping
In recent years we have had some of the folks from here relocate to Kansas City to become a part of the International House of Prayer (IHOP-KC), a vibrant faith community whose committed themselves to night and day prayer until Jesus returns. Part of the requirement for all students and staff is that they must log 24 hours a week in the prayer room. One of the girls told me a little while after moving there that her first four-hour shift in the prayer room was daunting: “After praying for everything that was on my heart to pray for or what I thought I should be praying for, only ten minutes had passed. And now I had three hours and fifty minutes to go before my 'shift' was over. I thought to myself, 'What do I do now?'” Exactly. Now, having been to the prayer room before and knowing the lay-out of the place, I know I could make it okay through a two-hour shift with my Bible, journal and water bottle (coffee is not allowed in the prayer room). I'd write-some, read-some, walk-some and pray-some (and, probably use the facilities once or twice in that 2-hour shift-some as well). But when Troy, one of our elders, tells me that whenever he goes to KC he spends “hours” in the prayer room (as in lots and lots of them) all I can feel is admiration because I do not have the same spiritual stamina as he in this department. After two hours, I usually have to step outside for fresh air or mosey next door to the Higher Grounds coffee shop for a chocolate mocha everything. He chalks it up to God's gifting and wiring him as an intercessor (and I would concur). But I also know that when our former youth leader was on staff there and we would stay at his home I would not always go to the prayer room. One afternoon, while Justin was working, and Tara and Linda went shopping, I actually went geocaching and had a wonderful time of discovery and exploration (see Geocaching in Grandview, MO 64030). Which is to say my spiritual appetite is not what it probably should be.

Luke tells us 120 fit into that room – he doesn't tell us whether the arrangement was comfortable or not. I'm thinking it wasn't – 120 men and women, with no AC in a second story room in Jerusalem in the springtime? By comparison, our sanctuary can hold maybe 110 northern Europeans but that's pressing your luck (one time we actually squeezed 160 teens and their leaders into our sanctuary for an area youth event in the spring and it was a little warm-ish and a lot illegal fire code-wise.) So, I'm brought back to wondering aloud how did they do that?

Replacement apostle
At the end of his gospel he also reports that those first disciples “stayed continually at the temple praising God” (24:53). So, perhaps some of the time was broken up by taking a short walk over to the temple to engage in regularly scheduled times of corporate prayer as was the Jewish custom. That certainly would break up a morning for me. But eventually they returned to that little room, squeezed in and prayed some more. Stott points out that the word “together” (as in they joined together constantly in prayer) “translates homothymadon, a favorite of Luke's, which he uses ten times and which occurs only once elsewhere in the New Testament. It could mean simply that the disciples met in the same place, or were doing the same thing, namely praying. But it later describes both united prayer (4:24) and a united decision (15:25), so that the 'togetherness' implied seems to go beyond mere assembly and activity to agreement about what they were praying for (The Message of Acts, p. 53). I have never before been much interested in the choosing of Matthias as Judas' replacement apostle but Marshall reminds me that of all the things that he could have recorded about those ten days preceding Pentecost, he chose to write of this event alone and so it may “be regarded as of particular importance in his eyes.” (Acts: Tyndale New Testament Commentary, p. 67.) Point taken. So, at the very least they were engaging in dialogue at different times because while the choosing of the 12th guy is almost a non-event to us it was very important to them.

Putting this altogether then, these men and women of Galilee, far from home and the distractions that home would have brought them, have holed themselves up in Jerusalem, to engage in long bouts of personal prayer interspersed with corporate prayer and worship, fellowship and dialogue. Maybe like David's cave of Adullam (see 1 Samuel 22), a new community was in gestation – (yes, an upper womb) – being knit secretly together before being birthed as “the church” in dramatic fashion a few days later.
It's hard for me to wait

In over twenty years of ministry I think I can say with some authority that we – that is, the folks who gather at the fellowship where I serve as pastor – don't do prayer “together” very well. And we claim to be Pentecostals, too! Oh, I can get a few stalwarts together for prayer (the elders of our fellowship are exemplary in this regard) but rarely more than a few others will embrace the need that we, who excel at doing, need, from time to time, retreat and wait again for a fresh immersion of the Holy Spirit. While I'm still miffed at Luke for failing to describe just how they were going about all that praying, I recognize my need to copy them, to wait, to draw away, to go stair-crazy bored in a room somewhere until he comes and pours on me afresh so that with his fire I may bear witness in all places just as I have been commanded to do. 

I'm not sure if this is what David was thinking about when he composed Psalm 40 but I include it here as my prayer to start waiting afresh on the Father:
  1 I waited and waited and waited for God.
    At last he looked; finally he listened...

 ...
Blessed are you who give yourselves over to God,
    turn your backs on the world’s “sure thing,”
    ignore what the world worships;
The world’s a huge stockpile
    of God-wonders and God-thoughts.
Nothing and no one
    comes close to you!
I start talking about you, telling what I know,
    and quickly run out of words.
Neither numbers nor words
    account for you.

Doing something for you, bringing something to you—
    that’s not what you’re after.
Being religious, acting pious—
    that’s not what you’re asking for.
You’ve opened my ears
    so I can listen.
7-8 So I answered, “I’m coming.
    I read in your letter what you wrote about me,
And I’m coming to the party
    you’re throwing for me.”
That’s when God’s Word entered my life,
    became part of my very being. 
Psalm 40:1, 5-8, The Message

No comments: