My name is Jeff and I'm a pastor of a small, local, Christian fellowship

It's a wonderful thing to love your work; to know that when you do it you are doing something that you were born to do. I am so fortunate to be both. I don't say I am the best at what I do. God knows that are so many others who do it better. But I do feel fairly lucky to be called by such a good God to do work I can only do with his help, to be loved by a beautiful woman, and to have a workshop where I can work my craft. These musings of mine are part of that work.
Powered By Blogger

Friday, November 15, 2013

Becoming part of the solution

Behold, I make all things new.”
Revelation 21:5, KJV

When someone becomes a Christian, he becomes a brand new person inside. He is not the same anymore. A new life has begun!”
2 Corinthians 5:17, LB

Troy Watson is now part of the solution. He used to be a part of the problem but no longer. I've written about my friend Troy before. He's the former frequent flier at the Barron County Justice Center who I met back in March of 2011 while he was incarcerated for his most recent bout of drunkenness. A few months later when he was released he began attending our fellowship's weekly worship gathering and a month or so later made a very public profession of faith in Christ (see Being born again on Sunday). It wasn't too much longer after that he was baptized and at the beginning of 2012 became a member of the Refuge faith community. He's been a part of us ever since.

Over the last two and a half years he has donated his skills to the remodeling project in the lower level of our facility, has participated in one Alpha course and hosted another in his home. In perhaps one of the most significant events at our fellowship this year, he and his wife, Marie, renewed their wedding vows in February (see You were right, Lillie. It did lead to dancing.). And right up there with that event was what happened in the summer of 2012 when he earned his “get-out-of-jail” free card and became a volunteer at the Barron County Justice Center – the very place where he once cooled his heels in the orange jumpsuit that is regulation clothing there (see Sometimes the leopard can). Since that time he has been my right hand man at the JC. Where once he was timid to say more than his name, he now does much of the talking during the sharing time at the monthly services we lead there. In fact, this past summer he began taking an on-line Bible school class. His goal is to ultimately become certified so that he can go to the jail as a chaplain and not just as my helper. My goal is that one day he become the leader of our outreach to the JC and that I go along as his helper.


Troy's baptism - Summer 2011
Troy's story, totally authored and illustrated by the living God, has caused me to believe in the gospel again. Paul wrote, “I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes...” (Rom 1:16). In Troy, I see ongoing proof of the veracity of that statement. Our fellowship continues to witness the ongoing fulfillment of this verse as Troy's salvation is playing out in real time.

Troy & Marie's re-wedding day
Troy's story is such an inspiration to me.” I heard that twice today by two different inmates at the JC. The first time was this morning. *Bill is on his way out of the Justice Center. He's on what they call “short time.” He's just about served his sentence. He's gained Huber privileges and that means he's back to work. I ran him to Rice Lake this morning to get some issues squared with the Social Security administration. On the way back to the JC as we were sharing back and forth Bill expressed how Troy's story is such an inspiration to him that by the grace of God he can make it, too. And then this afternoon, while back at the Justice Center and sitting in Professional Visitation #2 and getting acquainted with an inmate named *Freddo whom I had never met before, I heard it again: “Troy's story is such an inspiration to me.” Freddo is a guy who was never raised in church and like Troy has dealt with repeated bouts of alcoholism much of his life. According to him, this time he's lost everything including the woman who is the mother of his three children. He's only been locked up for about two months but one day at the jail recently he asked for a Bible and began to read bits and parts of it. “I've now given my life to God and I want to know how I can rebuild it.” During our conversation that followed that statement he made the assertion that the last time we led the worship gatherings in October how inspired he was by Troy. “If he made it maybe I can too.” 
 
Priceless: Troy at his son's baptism this past summer
I know whenever Troy gets around to reading this it will encourage him – to be called out twice in the same day by guys who are presently sitting where he used to sit is high praise. But then he will be quick to deflect attention to where it needs to be – to the One who can save to the uttermost. In October, Tom Stamman was with us for another one of his prophetic gatherings. During the evening he called Troy out of the crowd. Even though Tom ministers at our fellowship twice a year, it was Troy's first experience with him. This is what he said as he prayed over Troy: “You used to be part of what's wrong with this country. You used to be part of the problem but now you're part of the solution.” Amen to that. Right now, Troy's ambition is to organize a venture to hand out goodie-bags at the JC this Christmas that will include not only something sweet but also personal care products, things that are in high demand there. This, too, is the fruit of salvation and living proof that God is more than able to make all things new.

No comments: