My name is Jeff and I'm a pastor of a small, local, Christian fellowship

It's a wonderful thing to love your work; to know that when you do it you are doing something that you were born to do. I am so fortunate to be both. I don't say I am the best at what I do. God knows that are so many others who do it better. But I do feel fairly lucky to be called by such a good God to do work I can only do with his help, to be loved by a beautiful woman, and to have a workshop where I can work my craft. These musings of mine are part of that work.
Powered By Blogger

Monday, June 8, 2015

Unsettling thoughts about the rich, young ruler

Looking at his disciples, Jesus said, 'Do you have any idea how difficult it is for people who “have it all”to enter God’s kingdom?' The disciples couldn’t believe what they were hearing, but Jesus kept on: 'You can’t imagine how difficult. I’d say it’s easier for a camel to go through a needle’s eye than for the rich to get into God’s kingdom.'” Mark 10:23-25, The Message

It ain't those parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand.” Mark Twain

The story of Jesus' encounter with the guy we usually refer to as the “rich, young ruler” has bothered me for quite a while (Mark 10:17-22; also Matthew 19:16-22 and Luke 18:18-23). As a citizen of one of the wealthiest countries on the planet how can it not? I agree with David Garland when he says that people being people “we always manage to fall below an imaginary 'riches danger line,' so that we comfort ourselves that Jesus intended this lesson for someone else” (Mark: The NIV Application Commentary, Zondervan. © 1996 by David Garland, p. 401). I don't consider myself “rich” by any way we define the term in these here parts. I don't live on the lake nor own a pontoon nor have access to a cabin in the woods. I'm just a “poor preacher” scraping out his living in a small town in northwest Wisconsin. My vehicles are old. My home needs improvements. I don't have a pension nor stand to collect one from the parish I serve at any time in the future. I don't know if Twain had this saying of Jesus in mind when he made his laconic observation but despite my moderate means of living this passage still vexes me.

I pretty much know the song by heart
I'm fairly persuaded that God is not a communist, that he's okay with us owning stuff and using it as we see fit. I also know that there are some very generous wealthy people – even around here – while at the same time I also am aware that some poor people can be remarkably stingy and selfish. Which is to say having the ability to acquire and maintain wealth does not equal the mark of Cain and neither is being poor a mark of godliness. In and of itself money – Mammon – is morally neutral. It could be evidence of greed or wisdom, of arrogance or generosity. Paul reminds me that if, like Tevye, I were a rich man and gave everything away to “the poor” without a hint of love in my heart for them it would mean absolutely nothing (see 1 Corinthians 13:3). So, why am I troubled by this hard saying of Jesus?

My African friends told me all their zebras were kept in the zoo

I've been to Asia. I've been to Africa. I've been to Mexico. I've been to Pine Ridge. What do these places have in common? Gross poverty juxtaposed with gross affluence (save for Pine Ridge which just knows gross poverty). After my first trip to Africa in 2012, the kids at our local elementary school who I read to each week wanted to know if I saw any elephants, lions, zebras or any of the other wildlife Africa is famed for. I had not, I informed them, but then walking to the sink in their classroom I showed them something I have come to believe is truly marvelous. I opened up the tap and just like that clean, cool drinking water poured out with just a flick of my wrist. I then shared with them that nearly every day as we drove around to different villages and towns I would see children their age and older standing in line at a bore hole with their assorted cans waiting for their turn to draw water. The water they drew would be used for drinking, cooking and bathing. The next day they would be back to follow the same routine all over again. But in this country that we call home if we're thirsty, we just go as far as the kitchen sink or the water fountain in the hall to get a glass of water. Or we set our washing machines and then press a button and clean water fills the tub. Amazing. When nature calls, I go into the bathroom and then flush when I'm through. I may not consider myself wealthy by any means but by comparison to some of my African friends how can I affirm that I'm poor either?

A Ugandan boy with his "jerry" can

Truly a modern marvel
I know that not all of Africa or Asia is like this. There are parts that are as modern as they are here in North America. But the majority of our “poor” enjoy clean running water and indoor plumbing. What's more, the infrastructure of roads and access to emergency health care and rescue and lights that come on (so long as our account is current) and stay on is fairly standard. Our populace, by comparison, is better educated and healthier than many of our neighbors in developing countries. It makes me very grateful to live in the place that I do.

Got a canoe - does that count?
I don't feel a lick of guilt about it. Why should I feel guilty that I live in a country that values clean drinking water, good roads and a basic education? And I don't think we're to spend a lot of time apologizing to our less affluent friends because we have it so well off here. But then I read Jesus' statement: “Do you have any idea how difficult it is for people who “have it all”to enter God’s kingdom?” (v. 23). I don't know about you but having seen a little bit of the world “out there” it's hard not to put myself in that category of “having it all.” Sure I don't own anything that speaks of status in our culture (unless you consider our modest home) but all those simple amenities I take for granted every day like clean drinking water, indoor plumbing, and a police force that goes about its work honestly spell affluence to me.

Waiting in line at the bore hole in Kakira
So, am I to inform Linda that we're selling the house and the cars down-sizing to an even smaller living space if only to alleviate my guilty conscience for living in such a spacious home? Am I to send whatever profit we could garner from the sale of our home overseas to one of my struggling African friends? I don't think so. I don't think this is what this passage is about. Instead, I think Jesus is asking me to do some inventory. Do I like the amenities so much that I would refuse a call to move to where I would not have such easy access to them? Have I set my boundaries of where and where I will not heed his call to follow? Do I love my lifestyle more than I love the Lord from whom these blessings have come to me?

It comes in handy
A few years ago, I struggled with a decision to buy a John Deere wagon to pull behind my John Deere tractor. I could buy a similar one at Farm 'n Fleet in black for a lot less than what the implement dealer was wanting for an authentic green one. But I also have learned the hard way that you pretty much get what you pay for. If you go cheap you save yourself money in the short run but not necessarily in the long. I have a few friends who are heeding God's call on their life to serve him in a cross-cultural manner. Would it be right to spend a lot of money on a piece of equipment when they were struggling to provide for their families? I shared this internal struggle with one of them and instead of consoling me and giving me his blessing he simply said those kinds of decision are personal and are supposed to be difficult. In the end I bought the green trailer and have used it for so many things over the years. I don't lose any sleep over owning it. But my friend is right: what we choose to do with our disposable income, whatever that amount may be, is very personal and – if we take this passage to heart – to involve some degree of struggle. Do I really need it? Or am I just getting it because I can?

Yeah, it still bothers me. But maybe its supposed to.


No comments: