My name is Jeff and I'm a pastor of a small, local, Christian fellowship

It's a wonderful thing to love your work; to know that when you do it you are doing something that you were born to do. I am so fortunate to be both. I don't say I am the best at what I do. God knows that are so many others who do it better. But I do feel fairly lucky to be called by such a good God to do work I can only do with his help, to be loved by a beautiful woman, and to have a workshop where I can work my craft. These musings of mine are part of that work.
Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Nothing lost in translation: An Advent meditation

It is true that no one has ever seen God at any time. Yet the divine and only Son, who lives in the closest intimacy with the Father, has made him known.” John 1:18, PHILLIPS

Then Philip said to him, 'Show us the Father, Lord, and we shall be satisfied.'”

Have I been such a long time with you,” returned Jesus, “without your really knowing me, Philip? The man who has seen me has seen the Father.” John 13:8-9, PHILLIPS

A few weeks ago I subbed a few days at the middle school serving as the aide who travels around with a young Venezuelan boy who moved to our town in September. He speaks little English and I speak hardly any Spanish so his teacher suggested I download Google Translate to my phone. “It will be helpful,” is how she put it. So I did and as she was right. Frequently during those two days Justin and I were making ourselves clear to each other through that app on my phone. Two people from different parts of the globe being able to communicate through a little hand-held device. How cool is that?

On the Saturday following my subbing assignment we were in the Cities having breakfast with our daughter and her roommate who happens to be a Spanish major. I was estatic about finding Google Translate and was having fun speaking into my phone and hearing my words “magically” transformed into Spanish with a soothing Latin lilt (or firm Icelandic bark). That's when Katie, Emma's roommate, gently popped by bubble: as far as Spanish goes, she explained, the words may be correct but the grammar and syntax are frequently incorrect with a program like Google Translate. That must be why “Seniora”, our high school Spanish teacher and presumably every other Spanish teacher out there, strictly forbids their students from “cheating” by using it. I suppose just like everything else there are no shortcuts to mastering a language no matter the path you choose.

But as Katie was kindly setting me straight I had a thought: Google Translate may not perfectly bridge the communication gap between two cultures but Jesus perfectly does. Jesus translates the Father's heart and nothing is lost in translation.


The way John tells it, the night before his death Jesus spent a long time with his closest followers sharing with them his “last lecture.” Somewhere in the middle of it, Philip timidly raises his hand and makes a request: “Show us the Father and that will be enough” to wit Jesus replies, a bit incredulously, “What? Do you still not get it? [Okay, that's my paraphrase] The man who has seen me has seen the Father.”

It's a pretty audacious statement for anyone to make unless you can stand by those words. So what do we learn about the holy, invisible and mighty God by reviewing the life of Jesus?

We learn what breaks his heart, for starters. He hates it when the strong pick on the weak or use their power to lord it over those who are powerless whether they are women, the infirm or the poor. He really hates it when religious people who should know better do nothing to alleviate the sorrow or the spiritual poverty of others. After all, we never read of Jesus running sinners out of town but at least on one occasion he made a whip and wasn't afraid to use it when part of the Temple was egregiously being used in an irreverent fashion.

We learn that while he has no favorites he cares especially for the poor in spirit, the humble of heart, the outcast, the sick and the unclean. Jesus wasn't afraid to touch the leper. He sent demons packing out of oppressed people. He made blind men see again and lame men walk – no, leap! - once more. He restored a dead son to his grief-stricken widowed mother and a dead daughter to her heart-broken parents. But Jesus wasn't throwing around healing virtue like some light saber toting heavenly Jedi just because he could; he did so, he said, because he saw his Father doing the same (John 5:19).

We learn that God took the initiative in saving us. We were so lost. Never in a million years could we have fixed what was broken. We are the lost sheep, the lost coin, the wayward son, the traveler waylaid by bandits, dead Lazarus laying stone cold in his tomb. We are all of them – and more! God took the initiative in sorting out this horrible mess we landed in when our original parents chose to ignore the ban on the fruit of the tree. He sent us his Son, Jesus, to pay the ransom for our sin, to find that which was lost, to resurrect that which was dead. To save us.

Ultimately, we learn that God loves us. Jesus said as much in the first Bible verse that so many of us committed to memory when we were children: “For God loved the world so much that he gave his only Son, so that every one who believes in him shall not be lost, but should have eternal life. You must understand that God has not sent his Son into the world to pass sentence upon it, but to save it—through him” (John 3:16, 17, PHILLIPS).

Of course, these things are but bullet points on what is most definitely a far longer list but all that to underscore my original thought: with Jesus nothing is lost in translation. He speaks fluidly the wisdom of heaven and conveys perfectly the Father's heart for us all.


I still have Google Translate on my phone. Why not? If I'm out for dinner with my family there's more than one way to pass the time while we wait for our order to be filled. And Icelandic sounds so very, very cool.


No comments: