My name is Jeff and I'm a pastor of a small, local, Christian fellowship

It's a wonderful thing to love your work; to know that when you do it you are doing something that you were born to do. I am so fortunate to be both. I don't say I am the best at what I do. God knows that are so many others who do it better. But I do feel fairly lucky to be called by such a good God to do work I can only do with his help, to be loved by a beautiful woman, and to have a workshop where I can work my craft. These musings of mine are part of that work.
Powered By Blogger

Friday, March 4, 2016

This year we owe. A lot.

No doubt about it! God is good— good to good people, good to the good-hearted.” 
Psalm 73:1, The Message




For the bulk of my pastoral ministry since 1991, we have annually been the beneficiary of a tax return. Between my moderate salary, a one-income household, four children and earned income credit, we have regularly received a nice bonus right before the Martin birthday season begins (between April 20-May 21, five of the six of us celebrate birthdays). For many years, our return was also our vacation money for the summer ahead and with it we were able to go places while the kids were still all home. But this year when Rick our tax guy sat down with us he had the task of informing us that we owe big time to the tune of $2,000. Gulp.

It's not hard to figure out why. All our children are grown now and, with the exception of Charlie, living on their own. In 2013, Linda went back to working full-time and since then both our incomes have steadily increased what with bonuses and pay-raises on her side and extra pay on my part due to part-time work coaching, shoveling snow and substitute teaching. What's more, since I've never earned enough to pay in, Refuge has never withheld other than Social Security tax. So, the math is pretty simple. In retrospect, we should have been thinking ahead.

You can find a picture for ANYTHING at Google
So there it was, like a bad smell in an elevator, an uncomfortable moment with no clear way to excuse yourself from it. But here's how God has provided so that we could pay the bill in full. Several years ago when we wanted to put our financial affairs in order, I sat down with a Dave Ramsey representative who took look at our budget. I had come to him wanting to talk about setting up a pension and retirement fund. He looked over our books and his advice to me was before setting up an IRA, we needed to take care of some of our debt. But before we really worked hard at that, we needed an emergency fund in case anything broke down unexpectedly while we were working diligently to reduce our debt load. He recommended a thousand dollars. We decided that two thousand dollars was more in order. It took us awhile, over a year or more but eventually we had it and converted it into a revolving CD. And then essentially forgot about it until its annual renewal date every January.

When Rick first hinted that we would need to pay in a significant amount this year, Linda and I both experienced a measure of anxiety, discouragement and perplexity. Where were we going to come up with that kind of money by April 18? As I recall, we prayed together asking God for help and provision. I had some money from last fall's Cross Country season and she had the money she had been setting aside with the hopes of buying a new furniture set. But even by pooling this amount we knew we were going to be short. And then Linda thought of the CD: I guess this counted as something akin to an emergency.

A week ago Thursday, Rick came to the house and took us through our State and Federal returns and confirmed our worst fears that yes, we would have to pay in a total of $2,000. But knowing that the means to address this bill was in hand, we could confidently place our signatures on the return and send them off with their respective checks enclosed. That evening, we went out for dinner in Rice Lake and then afterward decided to stop in at a few stores to do some window shopping. Furnish 123, a furniture shop in the old Wal Mart building, was our second stop after dinner and as we walked in the door we were greeted by Jessica, our neighbor a few doors away from us. “Hi, neighbors! Here for the sale?” Unbeknownst to us, the special they were running for a few more days included a sofa, love seat with a free recliner tossed in. We checked out several and Linda fell in love with one set in particular. When Jessica informed us of the price it was exactly what Linda had in her furniture savings account, a thousand dollars. She was able to pay for it entirely.

It ended up being a real good day after all
He's such a good, good Father. On the same day we were informed that we owed $2,000 he had already helped us years before to have that money set aside for just such a contingency. What's more, what started out to appear to be a day of doom and gloom turned into something of a red letter day for Linda as she was able to buy the furniture set that she liked after saving so diligently for it. God is good and we can trust him with daily lives. We're already taking the steps we need so that we don't get a surprise like that next year. It'll mean less take-home pay but God wants us to pay our taxes and therefore I'm counting on him to help us get by with less. One thing is for sure: we can trust him with our present and our futue, even if we haven't been planning as we should have been all along. Because He's that kind of Father, good and kind even down to the color of the furniture.

You’re all I want in heaven!
    You’re all I want on earth!
When my skin sags and my bones get brittle,
    God is rock-firm and faithful.
Look! Those who left you are falling apart!
    Deserters, they’ll never be heard from again.
But I’m in the very presence of God—
    oh, how refreshing it is!
I’ve made Lord God my home.
    God, I’m telling the world what you do!

Psalm 73:25-28, The Message


No comments: