My name is Jeff and I'm a pastor of a small, local, Christian fellowship

It's a wonderful thing to love your work; to know that when you do it you are doing something that you were born to do. I am so fortunate to be both. I don't say I am the best at what I do. God knows that are so many others who do it better. But I do feel fairly lucky to be called by such a good God to do work I can only do with his help, to be loved by a beautiful woman, and to have a workshop where I can work my craft. These musings of mine are part of that work.
Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Ugandan Road Trip: Fortaste of the feast to come

"For God and My Country"
I’m now just a little over a week away from embarking on the Ugandan road trip that I and four other individuals from Refuge will take. I’ve got my shots, purchased some toiletries and such but really haven’t begun to pack. As I relayed in an earlier post (see "GO TO AFRICA!"), this trip is really about making connections with fellow family members that, beside Pastor John Lutayaa, we have yet to meet. Over the past month both Randy and I have exchanged emails or Facebook messages with a handful of Ugandan pastors or ministry leaders with the hopes of firming up our itinerary which remains fairly open. It is, we’re told, the African way. I wouldn’t know. I don’t think we need chapter and verse for the week or so we’ll be in country but it might be nice to get a table of contents, at least.

We know where we’re going to stay (YWAM Hopeland near Jinja), where we’re going to be on both Sundays we’re in country and on St. Patrick’s Day. I have a good friend who serves in Nairobi, Kenya (where our other team is presently at) who wondered how difficult would it be for me to fly there for a visit. It is the country right next door but it all depends on how cheap an airplane ride it would come to. But otherwise, our itinerary feels as wide open as the savannah.

Our first Sunday we will be at Gospel Messengers Church in Kampala pastored by Pastor Moses and Hopkins Ssemanda. We’ve heard of Pastor Moses for several years through Tom Stamman of Impact Ministries International who has visited Refuge 2-3 times a year for some time. He tells us that this man is good people. One thing is for sure: if their choir performs the Sunday we are there I think we all are going to have a little bit of a challenge of returning to worship in the States as we know it. Here’s a brief clip of a amateur video they posted on YouTube of their choir performing:




We’re all hoping to see them in person. Pastor Moses, unfortunately, is in the States presently but Hopkins assures Randy that we will be sharing on the 11th. What that actually means, I guess we’ll find out. Good thing that for the last six years I have been practicing my extemporaneous preaching style at the Justice Center. Besides, what good respecting Pentecostal preacher doesn’t keep a message in his back pocket ready to use when necessity demands it?  It may demand it within 24 hours of being in Uganda.

On Sunday, March 18th – our last day in Uganda – I will be preaching at a Word of Victory church in Kampala as a guest of Pastor John Lutayaa. John stayed in our home in 2008 and in 2011, preaching at Refuge on both occasions. He is returning the favor, I guess. While searching YouTube I did find this brief video that was posted by an American couple that apparently spent some time with John back in 2008. Victory Christian Ministries have started numerous fellowships in Uganda and this video depicts a visit to Namatumba Victory Church that appears to be located in a rural area. The clip is long – a little over 9 minutes – but the audio of the Newsboys “He Reigns” makes up for it (I think).

I look forward to seeing John in his own element and get a better appreciation of the work he does there.

A day after I went public with my plan to travel to Uganda, a friend of mine posted a video promotional for a book I had never heard of, Kisses from Katie. It is the story of how Katie Davis, a young woman from Tennessee, walked away from a life that was hers for the taking and embraced a life of love and service in the very East African country we are about to travel to. What’s more, she happens to serve in the general vicinity of Jinja, right where we’re going to stay. Watch the video, and you’ll want to meet her, too. Even NPR seems impressed with her (see Foster mom to 13 Ugandan girls).




When we contacted her website as to how difficult it would be to arrange a meet-and-greet, we were informed that all we needed to do is show up at the feeding station she frequents with her 14 girls every Saturday. So while all of you will be darning your best green on St. Patty's Day, we'll be hanging out with Katie and her throng. As long as we were going (they asked) would we mind if they sent us something to bring to her? So now we’re serving as pack mules as well. Well, as long as we’re heading that way, right?

So, this is the foretaste of what will certainly be the feast to come. I can’t wait to take my own videos of some of the same people and others I’m sure we’ll be introduced to. I can’t wait to snap away with my 35mm camera. I can’t wait to get the soles of my running shoes dirty with good, red Ugandan dust. I can’t wait.

No comments: