My name is Jeff and I'm a pastor of a small, local, Christian fellowship

It's a wonderful thing to love your work; to know that when you do it you are doing something that you were born to do. I am so fortunate to be both. I don't say I am the best at what I do. God knows that are so many others who do it better. But I do feel fairly lucky to be called by such a good God to do work I can only do with his help, to be loved by a beautiful woman, and to have a workshop where I can work my craft. These musings of mine are part of that work.
Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Coming home again


Soon Bilbo’s stomach was feeling full and comfortable again, and he felt he could sleep contentedly, though really he would have liked a loaf and butter better than bits of meat toasted on sticks. He slept curled up on the hard rock more soundly than ever he had done on his feather-bed in his own little hole at home. But all night he dreamed of his own house and wandered in his sleep into all his different rooms looking for something that he could not find nor remember what it looked like. – from “Out of the Frying-Pan Into the Fire” chapter 6 of The Hobbit

Well, we’re back and so is Ed. We returned a little after midnight from our journey south to retrieve our son. We had a wonderful time in Kansas City – we enjoyed long visits with Justin and Tara (and got better acquainted with their three month old daughter, Lyla Jane, too) and Janessa, one of the small company of young people from Focus/Refuge that have been drawn to IHOP over the past few years. We attended our first regular season Packer game and even though it was a clinker for the Pack, we enjoyed a beautiful Sunday afternoon in the company of our son whom we had not seen since early October. Linda cannot visit Kansas City without venturing out on brief shopping sprees with Tara or dining out at Jack’s – as planned, she accomplished both. On the way south, we had a spur-of-the-moment extended lunch with good friends James and Jennifer Petersen in Albert Lea (Minn) and the monotony of the ride home was broken up with fun stops at Liberty (MO) and at the Trails Travel Center in Albert Lea once more with traveling companions and friends the Lamberts (who were also in Kansas City retrieving their daughter, Sarah, from the same internship) and Josh and Alex, too (young men from Refuge attending school at IHOPU). And, of course, there was the main event: being present for Ed’s graduation from the Onething Internship (OTI).
 
James and Jennifer Petersen (and some of their brood)
Looking for anybody to be open

I think of the Christmas of 1982, my first extended stay home since leaving for Bible college the August before. I had been home for a weekend here and there during that time but after being on my own, as it were, for several months, forming new friendships and beginning to be spiritually reoriented, to be home again over break felt so good and yet so...unsettling. It was good because I could enjoy the plenty of my parents' kitchen and mom's cooking. It was unsettling because even though I'd only been gone four and a half months I had been in a community that was intentionally be equipped for ministry. No doubt there was sin in our midst but my classmates and housemates were also my comrades in spiritual formation. And now that I was home, I was more sensitive to the fact that many of the same people I worshiped with were, for whatever reason, not able to sustain the devotion they expressed so exuberantly on Sunday morning. This sounds harsh but I do not mean it that way. What I mean is that come Monday, they would be back at their job or back in high school while I would be either in chapel or in a class learning how to study the Bible. So, I don't recall any kind of judgment towards them; I just felt out of place. But that “out of place”-ness was not all about them, either. Many of my new friendships were forming in that community called Christian Life College and not within the circle of Madison Gospel Tabernacle.
Janessa with Lyla Jane
Fatherhood suits him
KC and Jack Stack go together like peas and carrots

A greenhouse something like this...
The community that Ed has been a part of these past six months spiritually speaking was far more intense and energized than I recall the one I had been a part of back in Bible school days. I mean spending thirty-six (36) hours in the Global Prayer Room on a weekly basis, participating in regular fasting days and all that goes with being a member of the IHOP community as well as being essentially unplugged from TV, movies and the like for half a year has left its mark on him. He's still Ed – as far as I can perceive – still jovial, still quick to smile and laugh but at the same time his hunger for God and his passion for Jesus has multiplied. I don't discern any kind of spiritual snobbyness about him but how can you live in that environment for this extended season and not be affected by it? I think these next few weeks are going to be hard as he comes up from the deep as it were. Some of the disciplines he practiced while in Kansas City may fall away simply because there is no real community to enforce them (we still watch some TV at our house) but that is, to some degree, to be expected. He's been in a spiritual green house for a season – a temperature controlled environment designed to maximize growth – and now, now he's been placed back in the garden out back with all the other plants. Culture shock is to be expected.
Lyla is pretty like her momma
Our friends the Lamberts and their amazing daughter, Sarah

Coming up from the deep...
So he's home...and yet, understandably, he misses his friends, fellow interns, teachers and core group leaders. Praying for an hour in a prayer room anywhere for most of us we would deem that heroic. But six hours a day every day...? We who go to work or run a household would call that something for the professionals. And we'd be right, of course. A man who has a family to support and nurture needs gainful employment unless his gainful employment is doing labor like prayer and worship. Yeah...now he's back in the “real world.” But having said that I trust that what has been imparted to him will rub off some on me and the rest of us who live at 825 Fifth Street and the greater Refuge/Focus community.
Graduation day
It's official
Ed with is Core Group
This afternoon at lunch I showed him a video at YouTube I had been wanting to share with him since September when I first came across it. It's just something weird and random by the maker of “Charlie the Unicorn” called “Marshmallow People.” I was laughing hysterically through it. He laughed, too but I wonder if it was more like a courtesy-laugh for my benefit as opposed to something he found in any guise entertaining for himself. Later I felt bad. I mean, the two and a half minute video had nothing inappropriate in it (unless you call stabbing and eating a triangle man inappropriate) but I think in my hurry to get things “back to normal” I have to remember that maybe some things are not supposed to get “back” and a new normal is being established in our household. His “sight” that has been sensitized by six months of spiritual intensity may, in fact, be keener than mine right now worldling that I feel I am at times. Being around him these last few days spurs me on to know better the One who has instilled that passion in him. And for that I'm extremely grateful.
He's back

No comments: