My name is Jeff and I'm a pastor of a small, local, Christian fellowship

It's a wonderful thing to love your work; to know that when you do it you are doing something that you were born to do. I am so fortunate to be both. I don't say I am the best at what I do. God knows that are so many others who do it better. But I do feel fairly lucky to be called by such a good God to do work I can only do with his help, to be loved by a beautiful woman, and to have a workshop where I can work my craft. These musings of mine are part of that work.
Powered By Blogger

Friday, December 30, 2011

Miracle

In over thirty years of being in Pentecost, the majority of it spent in either training for ministry or serving in it, I have never witnessed a miracle. I’ve never seen a withered hand be immediately restored ala Matthew 12. I’ve never seen a man in a wheelchair rise up and leave it for good. Like many others in our tradition, I’ve asked for one many a time. I’ve asked God to eradicate cancer from a human body or heal a mind afflicted by mental illness but those prayers, for whatever reason, have gone unanswered. But this past Christmas Eve I and the forty or so others who were gathered in our sanctuary for our annual candlelight service had front row seats to one for Troy was among the worshipers.



I’ve written about Troy before (see Being Born Again on Sunday) – he’s the guy who asked to be born again one Sunday morning at Refuge this past summer. A life-long alcoholic, Troy has since shared with us that since he’s been 18 he’s been in and out of 20 correctional facilities of all different levels of security. He’s 40 now. During the Alpha course that he and his wife, Marie, participated in this past fall he answered the icebreaker question – “What’s the best Christmas gift you’ve ever received?” – in this way: “My best Christmas gift will be to be sober and surrounded by my family.” He can’t recall a Christmas when he’s not been drunk.

This was a different Christmas for Troy and his family

This past Christmas Eve into the sanctuary he walked with his two step-daughters, Angel and Nicole, and his son, Alex, as well as a couple of his grandkids in tow (Marie was at home getting their dinner ready). And he was sober. Each one of his kids was proudly wearing a cross, a gift from their parents to announce that this Christmas was different than all the ones before. While I strummed away on my guitar and sang, it was difficult, at times, to concentrate as right before my eyes I was witnessing a miracle – a life-long drunk sober and in his right mind holding his candle, surrounded by his family and worshiping the One who has saved him. This was the not the product of a man’s will and faithful participation in A.A. (while early on I encouraged him to check out the Tuesday group that meets at Refuge, at this point he’d rather not). No, this is what comes from a man surrendering his life to the Lord Jesus and then diving head-first into a loving, local fellowship who has embraced him as he is not as he hopes he one day will be. Unconditional love by God and men is a powerful elixir that can cure the human heart of so many of the ills that plague it.

Two weeks ago, the food packaging plant that he’s been working at since he was released from jail back in May closed due to company reorganization. He’s without work but he’s also sober. That too is a miracle. A couple of times during that Service of Lights I was tempted to stop and shout: Alleluia! People – look and see the power of God! Him [pointing toward Troy] – he was drunk last Christmas, just like he’s been drunk every Christmas before – but now, look and see! See what God can do! I didn’t. While it wouldn’t have bothered him, I’m sure it would have mortally embarrassed his kids. So I just reveled in the moment allowing this picture of a father surrounded by his kids to remind me that Jesus still saves, still heals, is still able to set captives free. That it didn’t happen overnight doesn’t make it any less miraculous. His life bears testimony of the power of God to change a life. I will continue to pray for the sick and believe for the signs and wonders of the Kingdom be displayed in our midst but I also hope to witness the miracle of new birth again and again in our fellowship in the days and years to come. Either one is evidence that the Word has become flesh and has made his dwelling among us (John 1).

No comments: