My name is Jeff and I'm a pastor of a small, local, Christian fellowship

It's a wonderful thing to love your work; to know that when you do it you are doing something that you were born to do. I am so fortunate to be both. I don't say I am the best at what I do. God knows that are so many others who do it better. But I do feel fairly lucky to be called by such a good God to do work I can only do with his help, to be loved by a beautiful woman, and to have a workshop where I can work my craft. These musings of mine are part of that work.
Powered By Blogger

Friday, May 3, 2013

Now I'm that guy

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” 2 Timothy 2:15, KJV



This Sunday Refuge will be worshiping with the folks at Hispanic Wesleyan Church (HWC) in Rice Lake. In an earlier post (St. Patrick's Day South-of-the-Border-style) I shared of the sequence of events that led to us celebrating St. Patrick's Day south-of-the-border style with our new Spanish-speaking friends. Having come to our “house” to worship with us they returned the favor and invited us to join them some time and we agreed that Cinco de Mayo would be as good a day as any. So, we're going and since Dr. Ahling preached at our gathering they have asked me to preach at theirs.

Everyone is excited to hear him again
On Tuesday afternoon, Dr. Ahling called me on my cell and asked if I had the text and name of my message as yet and would I be bringing a power point with me to use. At that particular moment I happened to be driving a disabled lady to our local grocery store, having picked her up from the chiropractor just a few moments before. “Ah, no. I'm sorry, I don't,” I said. He was very gracious and told me not to worry about it. But that brief conversation stirred up a memory or two from foggy bottom about preaching and what good preaching is.


The man can PREACH
 In Bible college, I aspired to be a great preacher. Our homiletics professor was Rev. Harry Schmidt, an outstanding pulpiteer in his own right. He is the kind of guy who can make all his points alliterated (e.g., 3 G's, 5 T's, etc.) without forcing the matter and who would regularly astound us with his ability to pull out meaningful messages from obscure texts. It's been 31 years since my freshman year of Bible college but I can still remember his text that he used in chapel the first time I heard “Brother Schmidt” (as we knew him then) preach - “Now it came to pass in the thirtieth year, in the fourth month, in the fifth day of the month, as I was among the captives by the river of Chebar, that the heavens were opened, and I saw visions of God” (Ezekiel 1:1.) I would be hard-pressed to remember my main text from a message I gave a month ago and yet I can remember the premise of his message as if he gave it last Sunday. That's impressive. In those days I looked askance at anyone who I thought “winged” it too much, who clearly hadn't done their homework and was light on substance and heavy on theatrics. As I would sit in our school library, from time to time I would thumb through the collections of sermons by Wesley, Spurgeon and other men of great renown wondering if some day in the future I would be able to compose stuff so good someone would want to collect and put into book form.

He was a preaching machine
When I finally became a pastor, and began preaching regularly my goal was to write out my messages and read them much as Edwards or Wesley read theirs. That probably would have been acceptable in say, a Lutheran or Methodist church but I was now the pastor of a Pentecostal fellowship and Pentecostals – or, at least the Pentecostals that made up our church back then – didn't go in for guys who read their sermons. They wanted “anointed” messages not “yesterday's manna” as one of the sainted ladies back then once compared my sermons to (ouch!) At 29 years of age, I didn't have a plethora of life experiences to draw upon nor a lot of humorous anecdotes about my children (Christine was 3 and Charlie, 1). So, I often would quote a lot of sources and admittedly they were long quotes at that. Most of the time I was frustrated with the final result and I don't have a lot of memories of people gushing over anything I said. It wasn't steak. It was mostly mac-and-cheese. I would spend a good part of Friday starting to work on the text and finish up Sunday morning with a very thorough outline (which was never alliterated) that ran 6 or 7 pages and would take about 45 minutes to deliver. Every now and again, we would have a guest pastor or missionary share on Sunday morning and it felt like everyone would get a reminder – myself included – of just what we were all missing out on. But when there is no back-up quarterback you have no alternative than to keep playing the one you got and so I kept practicing Sunday after Sunday aspiring to one day to reach an acceptable level of “anointing.”

He looks "anointed"
Admittedly, over the years my preaching style has changed. Oh, I still put together an outline every week but I am known to segue off course if so inspired and now 21 ½ years later have a lot more anecdotes and life experiences to draw upon that require no written notes to tell. But the thing that probably has had the greatest influence on my preaching style becoming more “free-er” is becoming a volunteer chaplain at the Justice Center. Since Day 1 I have “shot” from the hip, simply sharing what was “on my heart” at that particular moment. In an hour's time, I have to lead worship, pray and preach to a truly captive audience who rarely give me any body language whatsoever to know whether I'm hitting anything or not. But blaze away I do knowing that I'm going to hit something simply because the law of averages is on my side. (The regular doses of feedback I do receive either from follow-up 1-on-1's, letters from prison or simply guys stopping me at Wal-Mart or Kwik Trip tell me that I'm hitting more than I'm missing.) Frankly, it's a lot of fun. While now I have a partner in Troy at the JC, during all those years I was by myself I'd try and pray during the 20-minute drive to Barron but if the Packer game was on or I had something else on my mind, that usually would took precedence. But as soon as I'd strap on my guitar and strum a chord or two, a message would start percolating in my heart and I'd go with that. I've had experiences of “hearing” an angelic chorus or “seeing” a gold cloud hovering over the guys. On occasion I have spoke a prophetic word or two over an inmate.Like the old Virginia Slim commercial on TV, "I've come a long way, baby." 

Not really my style
There's an old preaching joke about a Presbyterian, a Baptist and a Pentecostal who one day over coffee were conversing about sermon-ating. The Presbyterian shared that he developed all his sermon outlines a year in advance. The Baptist was impressed with that seeing that he only worked six months ahead. The Pentecostal silently marveled at the skill of both men and then tentatively asked, “So..., what do you guys do during the song service?” The long and short of it is that all these years later I have come to this conclusion: You know the guy I used to look down on who didn't use any notes when he preached or who moved about like a caged lion pacing nervously in his pen? Yeah, now I'm that guy. I don't pace but I have been known to move around and become a bit animated if the moment calls for it. Some of the folks here may in fun accuse me of quoting Tolkien and Seuss as much as Jesus but there it is – the Word of God has become “flesh” through my individual and imperfect psyche and personality and God has spoken through me in spite of myself. 
 
I think he got it right
Chuck Westerman was a pastor and frequent contributor to the satirical Christian magazine, The Wittenburg Door. He wrote a book entitled, Pastor Karl's Rookie Year: Twelve Unexpected Truths About Church Life that I read in my personal early years of ministry here. On this matter of sermons being great works of literature he wrote something that I took to heart the first time I read it:

Sermons are not – and never have been – part of the “enduring literary heritage of Western culture.” (If they end up being this, it's by accident.) A sermon is not a coupon eternally redeemable for a True Fact from God; it has an expiration date, and is only good at participating outlets. A sermon is a perishable vessel for precipitates of the Spirit – not Waterford crystal to be put in a display case for the admiring ages, but a Dixie cup bearing living water to a thirsty people. (p. 107)

I needed to hear that and am grateful for his observation.

Except my mug is cooler
These days, most of my sermon-ating I do early Sunday morning. I get up at 4, get to Refuge shortly after, put the coffee on, get my journal out and then sit down with a fresh mug of Joe and begin to unload some thoughts. Whether they make it to the final outline or not is immaterial. This is just getting the creative process going. I pace and pray in the sanctuary for awhile (if I kneel, I get tired and sleepy; I think God knows my heart and is not too worried about me choosing a more kinetic way to wait on him). Before I start creating my outline, I will have checked my email, my facebook page and, um, played a game of Spider Solitaire (don't ask me how, but it helps me focus) But after these preliminaries are through, I open my Bible, open a new text page on my computer and begin to order my thoughts for the message. It usually is a 2 – 2 ½ hour process and admittedly not the best one (I think my conclusions tend to be weaker simply because I run out of time and “wing” the rest of it.) While I have been known to repeat myself, even though I have kept every outline of every message I have ever preached to the Sunday morning crowd at the fellowship I have been pleased to serve over 21 ½ years, I have never (yet) deliberately pulled one out of cold storage and preached it again. If I ever wake up on Sunday morning and have nothing to share I think I'll suggest we just worship more and get out early. I don't think anyone would complain.

I'm not there...yet
I have come to another conclusion: there are some guys who because of their wiring and temperament are excellent “cooks” with the Word. They excel at exegeses and if they gave medals out for that kind of thing would rack up a shirt load worth. But most of us are ham-and-egger guys: We do it because most Christian fellowships expect their pastor to preach and teach on a fairly regular basis. The “teaching pastor” title is only for those mega churches that have the luxury to hire a guy who is an ace behind the pulpit. But if you love and care for the people of the fellowship you are called to serve, they will put up with your (sometimes) dry and windy sermons because ultimately you are their pastor – a job that involves so much more than the 12 (Lutheran standard) – 45 minutes you talk at them on a weekly basis.


It's late Friday afternoon and I still don't know what I'm going to share come Sunday morning. Tomorrow I'll be in Eau Claire all day at Emma's state solo ensemble performances. Tomorrow night is our last Alpha gathering at the Watson's home. So, what am I gonna share at the joint worship gathering of Refuge and HWC come this Sunday? I don't know yet. But I trust by the end of the song service I will. 
Whatever I share hopefully I won't look like this
 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Great place to be...that guy.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Wish I could be there to hear it! Miss you Pastor!